It is never too early to begin taking steps to ensure your student has a long-term strategic educational plan fostering a love of learning, building solid time management skills and establishing a directed path towards the undergraduate experience
|College Planning: Benefits of Starting Early!|
|College Application Tips: What do Admissions Reps Consider?|
If you’re still curious about CHANCES….. and you cannot wait for my May newsletter….
A virtual tunnel to the center of the earth for anxious parents and student awaits you at Talk.collegeconfidential.com
There are literally tens of thousands of discussion threads on this webpage – some threads are exceptionally informative, but like Wikipedia- lots of speculation from well-meaning people with too much time on their hands!
Nonetheless, you can read “Official Results Threads” :
AH…and then there’s the “CHANCE ME” Threads. The Harvard Crimson Blog on these time-sinks drives home the point: https://www.thecrimson.com/admissions/article/2014/2/20/chance-me-world/
COMPETITIONS increase your chances of college acceptances!!
- American Foreign Service Association
Why Diplomacy & Peacebuilding Matter http://www.afsa.org/essay-contest
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Dupont Science Challenge Essay Competition
- Profile in Courage Essay Writing Contest
- Siemens Competition in Math, Science, and Technology. Providing emerging scientists with opportunities showcase their research and earn prizes $1000 to $100,000 for original research
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. An annual international competition for high school students around the world. One of the largest and most prestigious.
- Microsoft Imagine Cup. A global team competition for emerging computer to creativity solve problems.
- Google Science Fair. This project is a mult-stage competition sponsored by Google and National Geographic
- National Economics Challenge – Online competition where Winning teams compete at the national level.
- MIT Inspire – A comprehensive research competition in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. .
- National Geographic Bee –
- National High School Mock Trial Championship –
- Kids Philosophy Slam – Winner is crowned – “The Most Philosophical Student in America”.
- National History Day Competition –
- American Model United Nations International –
- National YoungArts Foundation – Week long competition for those who advance to finals- $10,000 in cash rewards
- Doodle 4 Google – Submit a design and your artwork may appear on the daily change in the Google Logo
- Congressional Art Competition –
- National Geographic Student Photo Competition –
- American Protege –
- NATS Singing Competition –
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year: sponsored by the Natural History Museum, . Did you see the viral photo of two rats on the London Subway having a ‘heated discussion’ – (No political commentary please!!)
- The Musical Theater Songwriting Challenge:
- Congressional Art Competition:
- Science Without Borders: international art competition focused on preservation and restoration of the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
- Siemens Competition in Math, Science, and Technology:
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair:
- Junior Science & Humanities Symposia:
- FIRST Tech Challenge:
- 3M Young Scientist Challenge
- Google Science Fair
- Science Olympiad .
- Imagine the Future Youth Video Challenge
- National STEM Video Game Challenge
- FIRST Lego League –
- Technology Student Association –
- Verizon App Challenge –
- Mathcounts – .
- FIRST Robotics –
- Destination Imagination –
- President’s National Service Award –
- National Student Volunteer Award –
- Anne Frank Essay Contest –
- Ayn Rand Institute Contest –
- Creative Communication Poetry Contest –
- National High School Essay Contest –
- American Foreign Service Association:
- Bennington Young Writers Award
- EngineerGirl Writing Contest:
- Profile in Courage Essay Contest
- The International Scenario Writing Competition:
- Quill and Scroll International Writing, Photo, and Multimedia Contest:
Business, Humanities and Social Science Awards
- MIT’s INSPIRE Competition:
- TOPPS Competition for High School Psychology Students:
- Speak Truth to Power Video Contest: Win will have their video premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival.
- Congressional Data Challenge:
- World of 7 Billion Student Video Contest:
- Stemanities Research Competition:
- Blue Ocean Entrepreneurship Competition: entrepreneurship competition –pitch innovative business concepts .
Bonnie R. Rabin, Ph.D.