INCREASING YOUR CHANCES
STEM Admissions is unique!
First and foremost- be yourself because everyone else is taken! That’s not cliché-it is truly the most important piece of advice I can provide.
Discover an area that you are truly passionate about and dive in!
Demonstrate “INFORMED INTEREST”!
More than any other major, STEM applicants must clearly demonstrate “informed interest”! Admissions officers don’t want to read an essay describing your fascination with Legos since childhood.
Your application must leave no shadow of a doubt that you are prepared to succeed in some of the most demanding academic majors. STEM curriculum are intense and challenging!
An astounding 25% of all intended engineering students exit the field after their freshman year. Only 40% of college students who declare a STEM major complete their degree. Demonstrating you understand the challenges ahead is essential.
STEM “informed interest” can be demonstrated through:
- In addition to completion of AP STEM coursework, engage in sustained formal or informal STEM extracurricular activities and independent projects (we have plenty of ideas for an independent project)
- STEM Research: participation in local, regional and national competitions working with our competition educator. (see our research page)
- thoughtful college specific supplemental essays showcasing maturity and self-directed exploration of a potential narrow area of interest (i.e. stochastic processes in Financial Modeling, Genomics, Artificial Intelligence applications to pharmaceutical development)
CONSIDER Applying to a cutting-edge, LESSOR KNOWN or BLENDED MAJOR:
Allow me to help you think outside the box, increasing your chances of admission. STEM majors such as Nanotechnology, Computational Finance, Oenology, Cognitive Psychology, Human Computer Interaction are just the tip of the iceberg of exciting STEM fields of study.
You’ve seen that bumper sticker: CO-EXIST!
Many colleges have unique programs balancing a STEM field with an interest in the social science, liberal arts, business or even the Fine Arts!
With the cost of a four-year education continuing to rise, families are justified in exploring the ROI of any major. Employers are seeking STEM graduates who demonstrate an ability to communicate, manage and collaborate with others.
Click and explore these three unique STEM degree programs combining engineering with liberal arts, fine arts and international studies!
Based on your academic strengths and personal interests, we will work together to create a personalized strategic STEM ADMISSIONS plan including:
- Pre-college academic advising on coursework to not only increase your chances of admission, but ensure a seamless transition to your initial undergraduate experience. There’s more to STEM than “engineering”!
- We’ll work together to identify and apply for highly competitive local and national STEM summer research programs. Our team has inside-knowledge of programs and faculty.
STEM RESEARCH COMPETITION
- Develop your unique research interests
- Engage in competition
- Present an effective admissions portfolio showcasing and distinguishing your strengths as an aspiring STEM student.
Why is participating in STEM research competition particularly important?
We maintain an extensive database of available STEM based venues as well as ideas for feasible independent projects.
Think beyond FIRST Robotics, Science Olympiad or HOSA.
So much more awaits you….