STEM Research and Competition
Capitalize on your overlapping interests in Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, Business & even the Fine Arts!
Engage in competition at the local, state and national levels!
- Enhance your high school STEM education!
Develop your unique research interests: i.e. Biomedical Tissue Culture, Animated Film, Genomics, Green Energy!
- Increase your chances of Admission!
Present an effective admissions portfolio showcasing and distinguishing your strengths as an aspiring STEM student. (Learn how to showcase our research accomplishments on your college applications).
- By participating in a major STEM competition for high school students you set yourself apart from other high school applicants having the same GPAs and extensive extracurricular accomplishments.
- Admissions representatives prefer students who have already demonstrated an ability to conduct independent research essential to the problem solving you’ll experience as a STEM undergraduate.
- Through academic research (lab work, computer science programs/APPs, math competition), STEM competition not only enhances your pre-college education, it effectively demonstrates an ability to accomplish a major task validating your creativity, independence and ability to see a task to completion.It doesn’t matter whether you win first place at Intel – participation is impressive and unique!
MEET PHYLLIS SERFATY – OUR EXPERIENCED STEM COMPETITION EDUCATOR!!
Phyllis Serfaty has been a science research teacher and consultant for the past 17 years. She has managed over 350 students, many of whom have won first place in national and international science competitions (see sample of projects below). She holds a M.S. in Biology and M.S. in Educational Administration, and has taught at both the University and high school levels. She has been instrumental in launching research programs in both public and private settings.
STEM Research and COMPETITION SERVICES
(8th to 12th Grade)
- Brainstorming and planning STEM projects
- Ongoing project support and execution
- Identifying appropriate competitions within our extensive database of STEM venues
- Direction in choosing an appropriate summer research opportunity
- Guidance in preparing competition applications and ongoing review of a publishable, scientific research paper
- Direction and evaluation of entry forms, research abstracts and essays for various competition venue
- Assistance in preparing research papers and abstracts to showcase completed work for the college application process
A SAMPLE OF SUPERVISED RESEARCH PROJECTS and SUCCESSFUL COMPETITIONS and VENUES:
- 1st Place Intel Science Talent Search: “DNA-based Steganography”
- Siemens: We Can Change the world Challenge: “100% algae based fuel converted to biodiesel used in a home heater”
- Long Island Science and Engineering Fair: “The Evaluation of the Methodology of His-tagged ProteinExpression in Transfected Escherichia coli”
- Exploravision national second place: REGENX: Human Limb Regenerative Protein Cocktail Injections.